Another Frankendress

So this is the same pattern (or lack thereof) as the last dress, only in this Liberty fabric that I adore. Look, they’re little matches! (It’s called “Strike” and Shaukat still has some in the which is *almost* as adorable.)

Because Tana lawn is so light, I piped the pockets:


The zipper’s not terrible:

Liberty Matches Frankendress zipper

Unfortunately, this dress suffers from some of the same problems as the last version. Plus a few more, for variety!

Something is wonky with the back neck:

And oh lord the hem. This is terribly wrong:

 

This bodice is the one from my old friend Simplicity 1577, minus the collar, plus this new heavily-altered skirt that I am obsessed with. (You can see yet another version here.)

I haven’t yet followed through on all the suggestions from the last post (THANK YOU THEY ARE SO HELPFUL) with the exception of having purchased and read the Betzina book, which I think will be very useful. Especially for that back hem thing, which is even slightly worse on, if you can imagine it.

I managed to take a lot of long-overdue pictures this past Sunday, so you’ll be seeing some new dresses this week!

Advertisements

Cloudy with a chance of procrastination

Things have been busy around Dressadayland lately. Lots of work, lots going on … and after the massive 100 days of dresses blogamaradressathon, I was all set with a big list of other things I wanted to blog about again. I’ve got some cool books piled up to review, I have some plans for dress dataviz based on my kinda-mostly up-to-date Google Doc tracking the 100 dresses postings, and also some auxiliary pictures (I didn’t post any skirts, for instance, and there were several “hey show us your whole closet!” picture requests). So that thing where you have a lot of plans and they all seem kind of huge and where are you going to start and oh by the way your day job is super-busy and also you might be having some kind of RSI problem that means you have to cut down on some typing for a week or two? Yeah, that. That is what has happened.

BUT. Things have settled down ever-so-slightly, I am no longer having disturbing pins-and-needles sensations in both hands, AND I went to weekend before last in Portland, so I came back super-inspired to DO STUFF. (And, evidently, to use a lot of CAPS for EMPHASIS.)

I will post more about XOXO, which was awesome and amazing and all the other affectionate adjectives that begin with A, but I did want to share this dress I made specifically to wear at the conference, which is in Portland, Oregon. Have you ever seen fabric that is more perfectly location-matched?

This is a Frankenstein dress — the same combination of patterns as . Here’s the bodice; I’m really digging these raglan sleeves:

Here’s the zipper, which, well, I’m very proud of. This one really worked:

And the back:

This fabric is from Superbuzzy — the gray colorway is gone, but they still have a (very cute) …

Dresses: Day 95

This is another recent addition:

This is a mashup dress, a Frankendress. It’s the bodice from this pattern:

And the skirt from this one:

I didn’t do the little notch thing on the bodice, because I wanted something simple. I like the raglan sleeve, very comfy:

Here’s the side zip:

And the back:

I was looking for something simple I could make quickly, and this really fit the bill. This was my first-draft version; I think it worked out well. I added a little too much room at the waist, so it’s slightly baggy in this picture, but otherwise it fits, and the deep skirt pleats make it fun to wear. In the next version I will attach the (added) pockets at the waist seam, too, because they get too heavy for just the side seam (what with all the stuff I jam into them) and I might also shorten the skirt another inch. But other than that it’s very wearable as-is!

This fabric is part of my … I think all I have left from that trip is the orange bandana print!