And so we come to the end … the Duro! The Duro is actually one of the Hundred Dresses in -the-book, and it’s named for , who designed it. I fell in love … found a … and I made it a lot. To wit:
I don’t know if I ever posted this one:
This next one has some :
Then I started :
(Those last three and the green one above? All Liberty.)
This one has (the second one is a play):
I have never gotten over how nicely these two prints matched, considering I bought them ages apart and in different places:
And, of course, the :
(Plus there’s and , and , none of which I even have any more, and the one I’m wearing in , which I know I still have but I never wear anymore, because I wore it in that video. Crazy.)
I will post some wrapups after this loooooong series … I know there are questions in the comments that have gone unanswered, plus there’s all sorts of statistical fun to be had, and of course a “closet picture” and some dresses that maybe didn’t make the cut for the full 100 … but if you’ve liked this series, may I ask that you perhaps consider that inspired it? If you have already, and enjoyed it, I’d love to see your review, and of course it makes a lovely present for just about anyone …
Thanks so much for all the encouraging comments and fun links you’ve shared, too!
We’re gonna go out with a bang … or at least, two very very long posts. Today: the Duro Junior!
The is also known as , and looks like this:
Essentially, it’s just a quick and simple kimono-y dress with contrasting bands at the waist and neckline, but boy, is it comfy. I haven’t worn these in a while (they’re a little too short & the skirts are a little narrow for biking) but looking at these photos makes me want to take these out again, or, better yet, work out a new version with a fuller skirt.
For no real reason, here are two corduroy dresses:
This dress is a ; here’s a better look at the bodice:
It’s Liberty, of course, but I don’t remember the name of the pattern. (I really have to get better about that … of course, my purchase predated Pinterest, which I now use as a .) Here’s the about it.
I didn’t do the neck button/buttonhole; I knew I’d never button it up that high, since the fabric is so thick (choking … can’t breathe …):
Here’s the other corduroy dress, also Liberty (this print is called “Robin”), :
The side zip (and pocket, which you can’t see):
I made the pockets in this one in a fabric that is just too lightweight, and the contrast between the too fabrics is a bit too harsh, and has led to some stress fraying at the seam. I’ve had to fix it twice. Not great.
The bias trim on the neckline (my favorite part):
And the back:
I was going to add one more corduroy dress to this post, but it was so darn hot when I was pressing them for photos that I just couldn’t bear it. So , just in case you’re curious.
This dress is one of the first dresses I ever made from a vintage pattern (the exact pattern is lost to memory). I posted about it and it was old even then — and I know it’s older than my son, which puts it firmly in the grunge era.
I do really like the collar and the lines of the bodice. I remember clearly that this was a newspaper pattern … Anne Adams or Marian Martin or some such:
Covered buttons — this is before I knew the trick of using white fabric (batiste or organza) underneath the patterned fabric if you don’t want the metal of the button form to show through:
Bias trim on the sleeves:
The back view:
And a closeup view of the back … the only thing I can say is WTH? Where did those seams go? If I weren’t a life-long teetotaler, I would assume that I was drunk when I made this:
And the belt-kit belt, which hasn’t aged well at all:
I should really find the pattern in my stash and make it up again today, and show the two dresses side by side … just so people can see that, just as with everything else, sewing gets better with practice!
One last before we get to the end:
The side zip:
I originally posted this one … stripey socks and boots! Makes me start longing for autum/winter …
This is another recent addition:
This is a mashup dress, a Frankendress. It’s the bodice from this pattern:
And the skirt from this one:
I didn’t do the little notch thing on the bodice, because I wanted something simple. I like the raglan sleeve, very comfy:
Here’s the side zip:
And the back:
I was looking for something simple I could make quickly, and this really fit the bill. This was my first-draft version; I think it worked out well. I added a little too much room at the waist, so it’s slightly baggy in this picture, but otherwise it fits, and the deep skirt pleats make it fun to wear. In the next version I will attach the (added) pockets at the waist seam, too, because they get too heavy for just the side seam (what with all the stuff I jam into them) and I might also shorten the skirt another inch. But other than that it’s very wearable as-is!
This fabric is part of my … I think all I have left from that trip is the orange bandana print!
Well, today was supposed to be another omnibus day of multiple images but I overslept so we’ll just do this one, okay?
This is a new Butterick 7513; while I was posting the photos for and , I thought, hey, why don’t I make another one of these? So I did:
The stuntiness of this dress is slightly more subtle, but I’m sure you’ll see it. The fabric is (also comes in !). It’s not a fantastic fabric for this dress … it doesn’t quite drape right (as you can see above). But it’s certainly good enough.
I am probably never going to wear it buttoned to the neck like this, but it looks better in the pictures. Except huh, looking at it in photos now I can see that the third button down is slightly out of alignment. Oh well. This is what I get for sewing them on while watching a movie.
And here’s the back!
I also made this in FULL ON CAMO and I haven’t even been able to wear it yet. I might have finally made a dress that’s even too obnoxious for me to wear. We’ll see …